I’ve had a variation of these running around for a while. Tweaks may come and go with trends, but the concepts are the same.
- When they say “Go Big!” they don’t mean it.
- Start with optimistic scripts. Finish them defensively.
- Assume your audience knows nothing.
- Suspend disbelief – It’ll work.
- Self documenting isn’t.
- Track your work – If it’s not in JIRA (or Trello) it didn’t happen.
- Celebrate “Big Wins” – They don’t last long and are soon forgotten.
- If everything is a top priority, nothing is. Don’t stress about it.
- Don’t Panic. This is probably fixable.
- Fail fast. If something doesn’t work, dump it or be stuck with it forever.
- Nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.
- Productive Teams Eschew Enterprise Solutions – because they suck.
- Make it work, doesn’t mean fix it – it just means, MAKE IT WORK!
And a few truths about automated services
- If it runs, it must log status
- If it logs, it must be rotated
- Logs must be reviewed by something
- If it runs, it must have an SLA
- If it runs, it must be alerted when it misses SLA